Wednesday 14 January 2009

Contrasts


Life is full of contrasts. Sometimes the folk you'd expect to support and encourage are the ones who undermine and discourage. And it's those you'd usually go out of your way to avoid who shower you in human kindness.

I took an involuntary shower today, as someone went out of their way to show us kindness. My wife phoned while I was on my way home from work to ask me to call at a friend's to pick up some food he'd made. Anyway, I get there and he's just finished cooking, the pot full of thick minestrone soup is on the cooker and the stovies are already packed into a container, waiting. Oh, and there's macaroni, if my wife's not decided what she's having for dinner yet. All this food is still warm and all we need to do is re-heat it quickly in the microwave.

Ah, the milk of human kindness!

Compare this with those who flatter to deceive, before encircling in classic pincer-movement to deliver discouragement and criticism. I won't go into detail. Suffice to say it arrived yesterday, uninvited and from an unexpected source.

So, today I forgot the Credit Crunch and focused instead on the Free Food Munch.

1 comment:

  1. I met a homeless guy in Saltcoats; soaking wet and shivering cold. He told me his story. As he walked away the last thing I heard him say was, "It's wonderful where the help comes from."

    It is wonderful - but it's no mystery!

    ReplyDelete